Spring time brings warmer days and longer nights. As the world reopens and we gather with friends and family this is the perfect dessert to make ahead for all of your gatherings.
Sweet strawberries combined with mellower rhubarb (which is actually a vegetable) make for a mouth watering dessert your guests and family will love. Our chef/nutritionist Michaela has created this recipe with better for you ingredients including our collagen to help support your beauty and wellness needs once again showing you really can add collagen to anything.
Base & Topping
3 1/2 cups almond flour
1 cup coconut sugar or granulated sugar substitute
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Rhubarb Strawberry Filling
2 cups strawberries, fresh or frozen
3 cups sliced rhubarb, fresh or frozen
2 tablespoons water
1 1/2 teaspoon corn starch or arrowroot powder or 1/2 teaspoon xantham gum
1/2 cup coconut sugar or granulated sugar substitute
6 scoops Elaine Wellness Collagen
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish
- In a medium pot combine the strawberries, rhubarb, and water.
- Cover with a lid and cook over medium low heat until the fruit begins to break down. Simmer until the liquid reduces by about 1/3 then add sugar, collagen, and cornstarch.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl, combine the almond flour, sugar, baking powder, salt.
- Add the butter and use a fork or pastry blender to cut the butter.
- Mix until the pieces pea-size.
- Add the beaten egg and continue to mix until well combined.
- Divide the crumble mixture and press half of it into the bottom of the baking pan.
- Once the strawberry mixture has reduced and thickened but is still pourable, Add this mixture on top of the crumb base, making sure to spread out evenly.
- Top the bars with the other half of the crumb mixture. Use your fingers to make small disks of dough if that makes it easier to spread evenly.
- Bake until the crumble until the top is golden brown, about 40 minutes.
- Serve warm and top with whipped heavy cream, coconut cream, or ice cream!
Recipe by: Michaela Clauss