5 Steps to Reverse Autoimmune Symptoms:
Over the past seven years, I've been asked a lot about how I reversed my two autoimmune disorders: Hashimoto's and guttate psoriasis. I wish it was a quick, simple answer. You can't Door Dash or Prime a quick fix to your health issues.
1. View any illness as an opportunity to get curious about not only your physical health but your mental and emotional health too. My 14 years of teaching pilates has shown me that nothing in the body operates in isolation. Take inventory of your work, friendships, and relationships to see what's working and what isn't. Our emotional health has influence over our physical health. Let your friends and family know what you're going through and ask for their support and understanding.
2. Start by finding a doctor or naturopath that wants to work with you to get to the root cause of your symptoms. Trust your instinct and if you feel your symptoms are being dismissed or you're not being heard then find someone else. If you're being offered prescriptions to mask symptoms I encourage you to move on. If there's eye-rolling and sighing (yes, I experienced a ton of this) then definitely move on. You can read this blog with my checklist for how to prepare for a doctor's appointment. The Institute for Functional Medicine is a great place to start to find a doctor that understands the relationship between health and nutrition.
3. Once you find a doctor it's really important to do testing and blood work to get an accurate picture of your health. I know we all love to go to Dr. Google for answers but nothing can replace labwork. Look for the root cause so that you can work to resolve it. If you're having any hormone, thyroid or adrenal issues I highly recommend the DUTCH test. It's far more comprehensive than just a blood test.
4. Food was the biggest game-changer for me. I started by removing gluten, dairy, and grains. I gave up being vegan and after 25 years of not eating any meat, chicken or fish I added back fish. Hands down food has made the biggest change in my health. Get in tune with your body and notice how you feel after you eat. Eat real food that is organic when possible. Seek to eliminate sugar and processed foods. Drink plenty of filtered water.
5. Consistency is key. Eating real food is one of the most powerful things you can do for your health. I have consistently taken collagen for six years. It's made a huge difference in my hair, skin, and nails. Sleep is also very healing and restorative. Make sure to prioritize getting 7-9 hours a night and notice how you feel.
You can have great health and great hair, skin, and nails. But, consistency is the key. Make small changes that can add up to big results. Find a doctor that wants to work with you to help you feel better.
I'm rooting for you!
In great health,
Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.